They turned Drama in an essential work and in one of the best prog albums of the 80s." I think Trevor Horn sounds great here, and it's the first time throughout Drama where I don't ever think of Jon Anderson. Initially I thought to include their album "Culture Of Ascent", since Jon Anderson participates on two tracks of the album with his vocals. And you know I'm right, my friend. Lol. Genres: Progressive Rock, Symphonic Prog. People often complain about how this is more of a Buggles album than a Yes album, but for someone who a.) Yes are always mentioned. Not having to listen to Anderson’s weird East Lancs rolled ‘r’ pronunciation was a blessing for a start, but what was a real shock was how much I liked this new version of Yes’s brevity. Please deactivate your ad blocker in order to see our subscription offer, Ritchie Blackmore summoned Baal, the pagan god of war, during a Rainbow studio session, and it didn’t end well, Listen to Guns N’ Roses play Sweet Child O’ Mine for the very first time, Dave Grohl edits the new issue of Classic Rock - and it's out now, The battle for Van Halen: how Sammy Hagar triumphed over Dave Lee Roth, No One Knows by Queens Of The Stone Age: The story behind the song, The Michael Schenker Group - The Michael Schenker Group, Doc at the Radar Station - Captain Beefheart, Reach for the Sky - The Allman Brothers Band, Xanadu - Olivia Newton-John and Electric Light Orchestra. I do like prog but Rush are the only band I'm really passionate about. Marco LG: I like Drama a lot, it’s an album I have been familiar with for many years now. Album Rating: 4.0I feel like I've been at least one album behind for your whole Yes series e21, and now I've finally caught up with you! I’d done a Buggles session, and it was Trevor Horn who roped me into the Yes camp to help out. I think you must have more two or three months of waiting. Indeed, this album borrows its title from their … (AllMusic), "Why this album was panned in 1980, I'll never know. Drama has the different but beautiful voice of Horn and the new keyboard sound of Downes. Elaborate as it is complex, commercial as it is heavy. Vocalist Trevor Horn was on an upward trajectory as a producer. Yes, looking at all the 4.0, it seems we have come to an album where we almost all agree. 40. This was definitely a 'different' sound for the band, but it was still unmistakably Yes. But the classic Yes feel is still there. Great stuff! Great music made around 1980, so good idea to link it here. Album Rating: 4.0Cheers my friend! For Topographic Drama – Live Across America, guitarist Steve Howe (who joined the band in 1970) and drummer Alan White (who joined in 1972) are the oldest members from Yes’ glory days. Many Yes fans gave their grudging approval to 1980’s highly consistent Drama, even though the introduction to the lineup of Buggles hitmakers Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes caused consternation in such a tribalistic era. Quality A. The bassline is so killer and groovy when matched with that catchy synth melody. A guide to Yes: biography, discography, reviews, links. It being 1980s England though, I certainly wasn’t going to get to hear this record on the radio, and my few Yes-loving friends had all outright refused to buy this sacrilege. Tempus Fugit rounds up almost everything heard on the album, all in 5 minutes, which was almost unheard of on a Yes album. Keyboards became an easy picking to direct blame at for all the bad music produced in the 80s, but it is a fact their introduction and evolution led to a lot of those sounds ageing very badly very quickly. Machine Messiah has an opening riff that Black Sabbath would be proud of. Adam Ranger: Not heard this for so long. But now to the actual songs. Yes Topographic Drama – Live Across America Rhino Records Formed in 1968, Yes is a band that interestingly has no original members left in the band. Howe provides some of the heaviest guitar parts of his career and Squire romps across the mix with a frenzy of loping bass runs. Deluxe remastered edition of this curious version of Yes that featured the two members of The Buggles - Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn. Drama Tracklist. Does It Really Happen? Decent songs, played well and with more guitar than normal. I was completely unaware that changes had taken place in the band, yet being a fan of Yes, I bought it right away when it was released. Featured peformers: Trevor Horn (vocals, songwriting), Steve Howe (guitar, backing vocals, songwriting), Geoffrey Downes (keyboard, vocoder, songwriting), Chris Squire (bass, backing vocals, songwriting), Alan … I'm not a connoisseur of Prog or indeed Yes, but as a stand alone album, it stands up. Enter, The Buggles. Lol. I noticed the latter after listening to the live album Yesshows, which was released after Drama but recorded on previous tours, before the lineup changes. When things are kept simple, such as in Does It Really Happen, it really works. Maybe the more accessible sound of the band tricks me into thinking Drama doesn't need a ten minute epic. Not sure what to make of Man in a White Car, with its Wire-like song length, except to wish it were longer and to think that it makes perfect sense that Trevor Horn went into music production full-time (Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Welcome to the Pleasuredome being my favourite). Album Rating: 4.0Yeah Jethro. Listening to Drama now, it sounds like what a lot of prog bands (Rush, Genesis, the Moody Blues come to mind) were doing at the time; mainly, incorporating more new wave and pop elements into their music to stay relevant in the increasingly flashy and commercial 1980s. And what about Glass Hammer? Account & Lists Account Returns & Orders. Yet two things struck me this week for maybe the first time: the first is how much it was influenced by the new wave and The Police in particular, the second is how much simpler it sounds compared with the previous albums. I chose... the Tygers. Machine Messiah "I guess Two Sides of Peter Banks is one of these nexts. Sign up below to get the latest from Classic Rock, plus exclusive special offers, direct to your inbox! In the great spectrum of Yes-sy stuff, it's an outlier, but it adds a lot to the overall tapestry of all things Yes, or am I mixing metaphors? I got on well with Steve Howe and Alan White. Machine Messiah is the standout track for me. England and Wales company registration number 2008885. Directed by Stewart Wade. Billy Master: At the time of release, I was very much in the "No Anderson, No Yes" camp, and refused to even listen to it. The film is subtle, has an unmistakable lightness, no nudity and sex scenes, just a few kisses and hugs. Mike Knoop: I didn't listen to this album until twenty years after it was released, so all the *ahem* drama regarding personnel changes was long over. Yes - 'Drama' 4 stars. I think Drama suffers a little bit from being a part of the odd transition period into a new sound. “Drama” has the different but beautiful voice of Horn and the new keyboard sound of Downes. Unfortunately, the following track, Into The Lens is really quite bad. "There was so much tension around. Nigel Lancashire: When the Buggles boys (who contrary to popular belief, aren’t three dog-faced crooks constantly trying to rob Scrooge McDuck) were drafted in to replace Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman, rather than being appalled, I was intrigued. But this album hits a nice sweet Spot. Fortunately (or not) the release date was around my 17th birthday and two mates offered me the choice of the new Yes or Tygers of Pan Tang. And many think, as I do think too, that "Drama" is the last true classic album from Yes, despite the great quality of some later works. Review Summary: Ironic as it is due to the absences of both Wakeman and especially Anderson, Drama is the last truly great Yes album. Chris Squire chatting about the new Yes album Drama,Jon and Rick Leaving, Trevor and Geoff joining, playing the bass, the song Don't Kill The Whale, the … Listening to all those heavy prog albums in a row can be a little exhausting. During it’s 2016 tour, Yes played its 1980 album Drama in its entirety. You're absolutely right. Very soon you'll see. Drama has the different but beautiful voice of Horn and the new keyboard sound of Downes. Scott Spalding: I love this album! It was time for a new sound, and Drama delivers. 9/10. I get that the band didn't want to just completely abandon their prog roots so quickly, but this album really shines when it just tries to be a solid rock album. Sure, there were pop elements mixed in with the progressive stuff but back in 1980, this was unique and exciting." Visit our corporate site. MASTERPIECE Drama is definitely a favorite of mine that I wish others saw to be as good as it really is. Listen to the original by Yes on a online video of the full Drama album and bought it right away. 7/10. I guess Two Sides of Peter Banks is one of these nexts. Have a pos. I'm amazed that this album is more controversial than 90125 though, you'd figure prog purists would have had more issues with that? Of course, yet with Yes, but with some different perspectives of the band, but especially of the different music careers of the different band's members all over the years. Album Rating: 4.0@ Twig Title: Topographic Drama. The history of rock, one album at a time. Who is this man? Machine Messiah starts out heavy and impresses me... at first. It reached No. The general acknowledgment is that Yes became a pop band with 90125, but Drama is really where the transformation started, with much better results in my opinion. It’s far heavier than other Yes albums. Yes Drama (styled as yes Drama and formerly called yes stars Drama) is an Israeli television channel carried by the Israeli satellite television provider - yes, which broadcasts American, British, Canadian and Israeli TV shows of the dramas, lifestyle and reality genres. About Glass Hammer, I like the band very much. It was like they’d stopped reading Thomas Hardy and suddenly got into Raymond Chandler. Man in a White Car Lyrics. 1. The line up only produced one album (until the recent Fly From Here: Return Trip) - after which Howe and Downes left to perform AOR as Asia, while Jon Anderson returned (alongside Tony Kaye on keyboards), joined by Trevor Rabin, to produce a full on AOR Yes album in 90125. Then after the farce of the 80s years, I gave it a try and realised what a dick I had been. Machine Messiah holds its own in the realm of Yes epics, with the most guitar dominance on one since Yours Is No Disgrace. Album Rating: 4.0Like happens with Jethro, as you have finished the reviews of the studio albums of Yes, I am also curious about what is coming next. When you listen to the sound on this album, it's practically a bridge between their early epics and the pop to follow. One thing that really stands out to me here (and in 90125) is how great the production is. It would be a shame not to do that. Bands: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z. "I'm curious where you will go from here." I've reviewed a Yes record before for this club, and I found it a bit over elaborate. I was quite curious to discover the mix of styles. It's still a good balance between the new direction and their old days of prog, but I think it still feels a little lost in direction. I'm curious to see what's up. Man In A White Car is a nice little interlude, but there really isn't much to be said about it. The band shot music videos for "Into the Lens" and "Tempus Fugit", both of them mimed live performances with minimal visual effects. I just can't consider calling a band without Jon Anderson Yes..So coming into this album I took an approach of this album being a band that had members of Yes and the Buggles.and man, was I impressed! hot off their successful hit pop single and with a modern synth pop sensibility they did not seem like a natural match for the ethereal, jazzy musical ponderings of Yes. I also really like the Drama rendition from Topographic - Drama Live Across America with Jon Davison on vocals. Thanks, my friend. Verified Purchase. I may be converted. They were awful. 3. Horn contributed production, songwriting and even chart success to the next version of Yes, Downes went on to co-create Asia and John "Bluto" Blutarsky married Mandy Pepperidge and became a US senator. Oh, and I see you just rated it, so yes. An easy 10/10. Drama Game Drama Notebook 2020-04-30T19:40:48+00:00 This drama warm-up is part of a collection of 40 classic drama games found on Drama Notebook. "Drama" is a good album to end my reviews about Yes' studio albums, at the moment. Stream ad-free or purchase CD's and MP3s now on Amazon.co.uk. Iain Macaulay: In the interests of a having a balanced set of comments here. I liken Drama to the Yes catalog as I do Heaven and Hell to Black Sabbath's catalog. Please refresh the page and try again. Besides my CD copy, I own my old vinyl copy bought to a classmate in those times. (Sputnik Music), "A newly emboldened Chris Squire lays down aggressive rhythms with Alan White, and Steve Howe eschews his usual acoustic rags and flamenco licks for a more metallic approach, opting for sheets of electric sound. You know, my really inttention is reviewing albums where the different members of Yes participated as solo or members of other projects as effective members and not as guests. Can't wait." Machine Messiah, Into The Lens, Does It Really Happen and Tempus Fugit are all faves in my Yes book. But, they don't belong to my plans about Yes. As strange and paradoxical as it may seem, an improbable album like "Drama" was able to unite most of the Yes fans. I hope more Yes fans will check out this unfairly underrated album, and find out for themselves just how really good it actually is. Are they worth checking? In retrospect this odd-ball 1980 album with Jon Anderson (uniquely) and Rick Wakeman (yet again) absent stayed faithful to the classic Yes sound and has worn the years well. Wakeman returned to Yes for Going For The One (1977), that contains Turn Of The Century, Wonderous Stories and the 15-minute Awaken.Tormato (1978), on the other hand, is flat and bland, despite the hit Don't Kill The Whale.The format of Yes' compositions had changed dramatically, retreating from the super-human suite to the pop song. Apparently, they just weren't meant to do it together. Dynamic guitar. It's classic rock. Yes entered the 1980s with a new lineup and a renewed compositional approach. John Edgar: This one came as quite a surprise when first released. In a so extensive and somehow very complete voyage through the wonderful world of Yes, it would be a big failure noyt to include the debut solo album of Banks. But, yes, you’re right, it didn’t happen. They succeeded – and how! Can't wait ;) Label: Rhino. Price:-OK. Free Shipping & Up More. Even without Jon Anderson, it's still Yes to my ears. For Topographic Drama – Live Across America, guitarist Steve Howe (who joined the band in 1970) and drummer Alan White (who joined in 1972) are the oldest members from Yes’ glory days. Album Rating: 4.0I absolutely agree with you Diva. Does It Really Happen is my favourite. Graham Tarry: Love this album. Bath So, I've great expectations with his voice and I'm glad that you are telling me that he has a great voice and he is abble to sing all Yes' songs. MASTERPIECE Drama is definitely a favorite of mine that I wish others saw to be as good as it really is. 7.5/10. In reality, "Drama" is a very special album for the band because it represents the end of an era and the begining of other. I found it much more accessible. After all these years it falls into a category of being one of my top three favourite Yes albums. Mike Hayes: I really like this album! This one is as good as any of them up to that point to my ear. It displays a lot of the same influences and aspirations of other great prog albums released at the time, and contains some of the best guitar and bass lines Steve Howe and Chris Squire ever recorded. You will receive a verification email shortly. But, meanwhile, my friend, you must be a very bit more patient. Heck, I didn't even know who the Buggles were until MTV used Video Killed the Radio Star as its call to action a couple of years after the song came out. Album Rating: 4.0Nice review dude. Drama is the best studio album without one of their classic lines up. Rated #316 in the best albums of 1980. Drama is an enjoyable album. Despite Trevor Horn tried too hard to sing like Anderson, and Geoff Downes is miles away from the Wakeman's wisardry, Yes were still alive and kicking. Does It Really Happen may be the hidden gem on an album full of them, probably the album's defining track. What can I do? I cant help but think about album Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe which is already reviewed by Divaman. Carl Black: My automatic default setting is Rush when it comes to prog. No other Yes album rocks as hard as this album. You're absolutely right. Ian Kingston: The last great Yes album. Yes Drama Tour 1980 Jim Ladd Innerview Radio Broadcast 1980 21 Minutes. Home > reviews > Men's Clothing > "yes drama" 1,046 Results . But come 1983, Yes roared back to life, with Jon Anderson back in the fold, for the smash album, "90125." Both brought a new sound to Yes. Yes Topographic Drama – Live Across America Rhino Records Formed in 1968, Yes is a band that interestingly has no original members left in the band. John Davidson: After the relatively disappointing Tormato, it wasn’t a surprise to discover that Rick Wakeman had once again left the band, but the absence of their iconic singer Jon Anderson was surely going to shake things up. Indeed, this album borrows its title from their … Album Rating: 4.0Patience my friend, patience. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on June 11, 2015. Maybe a bit megalomaniac, perhaps. I prefer it when Yes go long and the lengthier songs are the highlights here. I grow weary of it halfway through. Chris Burkill: I struggled with Yes until this album. "Into the Lens" was released as the album's sole single in 1980. Besides, Howe, Squire and White demonstrated that Yes could survive without Anderson. Future Publishing Limited Quay House, The Ambury, Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for YES / Drama at Amazon.com. It is the first Yes album without vocalist Jon Anderson. Holy Hammond organ Batman, listen to those keyboards - it is a new decade! Imagine my surprise when the new record wasn’t anywhere near the unlistenable tosh that Tormato was, or the overblown rambling of... every other Yes record ( I have somewhat softened in my feelings about Yes in subsequent years, don’t hate me). Run Through The Light isn't much better. Take the classic Yes sound, and update it for the new wave era, this is what you get. Despite all those points mentioned by you, Yes were still alive and kicking very hard. Anyway, I know the album since it was released, very well. Pontus Norshammar: I love this albums. Like everyone else, I remember the shock when it was announced that Horn and Downes (Buggles!) (Music Street Journal). On Yesshows, the old joke about a prog band releasing 20 minutes songs so that each member could have his solo moment, seems to come alive – albeit in a good way. Though neither were the classic line up, nor the classic sound of the peak years, Drama is my favorite Yes album. And damn is it good. A true transitional record, Drama is a hint of what Yes was capable of when ego is kept in check and drama is left out of the studio. It’s just that our opportunity came to make pop music and we took it.”, “It was full of dramas, engineer Hugh Padgam said. Louder is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. But it was not easy!”. were replacing Anderson and Wakeman, but the change really worked. 2. We can't say the same about Trevor Horn who apparently vocally ruined the classic Yes songs during the Drama tour. Released August 18, 1980. Every week, Album of the Week Club listens to and discusses the album in question, votes on how good it is, and publishes our findings, with the aim of giving people reliable reviews and the wider rock community the chance to contribute. Of course, it couldn’t last. Not at all sure that the "Yeggles" tag is  fair: this is definitely a Yes Album. Lol. 8/10. Oh, and I see you just rated it, so yes. It's actually pretty irritating – the lyrics in particular are so bland. Thanks my friend, and especially, thanks for your support. Drama, an Album by Yes. Shane Reho: Is this album underrated or what? Drama is not only an interesting sample of 'progressive' rock, but features a bit of ironic wit as well. Does It Really Happen? "The idea of a couple of interlopers from the pop world suddenly stepping into this revered band. That is the idea behind "Yes or No" to make it understand if it impacts, introduce an opinion without being invasive, the protagonists are incredible, the chemistry in the cameras freight was the best. Matter of fact, it describes … Yes would eventually follow Drama with 90125, which I think is one of the most underrated albums ever and certainly a better collection of songs than this one. And if so it's not a bad one to draw a line under. DIY Diamond Painting Cross Stitch Drama Actor Needlework Home Decoration Lady Photo Full Diamond Embroidery F276. 2 in the UK and No. doesn’t mind synth-heavy, new wave-infused prog and b.) Into the Lens probably could've been a little shorter, but it works. As could be said about many, if not all of their progressive rock kin, things weren’t running quite so smoothly for Yes towards the end of the 70’s. © Very clever, very clever indeed! So there is an argument that Drama is the last ‘proper’ prog album from Yes. Till that moment, I'm going to published several other things about Yes. Original closer Tempus Fugit sounds the most like traditional Yes to me and it's terrific, one of these weaving galloping tunes they can apparently knock out in any incarnation. Why was Genesis able to continue (and get more popular) after the loss of their original singer? I know you already reviewed Journey to the Center of the Earth and Fish Out of Water. But seems that you finally caught me. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. Oh well. I like to think in a big scale. But, this is what I am. Their classic era began with "The Yes Album" and ended with "Tormato", the era of their two classic lines up. I'm only familiar with Glass Hammer albums till their tenth studio album "Three Cheers From The Broken-Hearted" and Davison only appears on their eleventh "If". Machine Messiah rocks hard, and Tempus Fugit is one of my favourite Yes songs. Thank goodness for people like John Sinclair! SD 16019; Vinyl LP). But, I declined that. It's quite funny and clever, and not an insult at all. But in hindsight, both myself and Trevor were musicians, not pop guys. Album Rating: 4.0There are lots of both Rick Wakeman and Steve Howe's solo material from the start. Drama is the tenth studio album by British rock band Yes. A bit of Police influence (Sting has got a lot to answer for) on some of the shorter songs, I get the feeling they always had an eye on the charts. Drama from Yes released in 1980 is a very big inprovement over Tormato, who was for me a good album but less intristing then before. But, I listened to this album all the same, as I do all the albums here, just to see. Read more. This early '80's album is one of the best band ever done, even for some purists the Yes is no Yes without Anderson. I confess I'm not very accustomed with the voice of Jon Davison. YES Drama music review by ZowieZiggy. Got it when it came out 40 years ago, and it doesn’t disappoint. It seems to me almost a real miracle. Run Through The Light is my favourite of the three, but Into the Lens is nipping at its heels. I'm very glad that you could see my intention with my choices on the recomendation section. Tempus Fugit is a pretty good rocker with nice guitar riffs and synths. – but that's another story. 4. Sorry guys, not a classic to me. Run Through the Light hardly sounds like Yes, but it's good. An improbable album from an improbable line up. Join the Album Of The Week Club on Facebook to join in. 18 in the US, the band's lowest charting studio release in the US since The Yes Album (1971), which peaked at No. Album Rating: 4.0All those things you mentioned are in my plans, and bit more. Features Song Lyrics for Yes's Drama album. Chris Squire and Steve Howe upped their game in response to the new arrivals and the whole album sounded fresh (and still does). I relisten to Asia Minor atm. Album Rating: 4.0Thanks pal. The channel aired on December 14, 2008 on channel 12 - as part of the latest television shows' channels re-brand by yes. I still don’t like Yes. It's so clear and completely avoids sound outdated or "80s overload.". Or maybe this primed them for it. They skip between commercial and rock and you're never far from either. Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for Drama - Yes on AllMusic - 1980 - For this one album, ex-Buggles Geoffrey Downes… Cheers and patience. Also need to give a shout out to the always great Roger Dean's cover art. About the other projects of each members, you seem to be more knowledgeable than me. Some tracks are reminiscent of what Rush were to become in the mid 80s. In the absence of Wakeman, and with Downes providing a more simple keyboard/synth sound, Howe and Squire dominate the music. It is an interesting “transitional” album—pointing the way to both Asia and (IMHO) the much better Yes of 90125. Hello, Sign in. A young woman diagnosed with cancer tries to play matchmaker between her soon-to-be-widowed husband and her bisexual twin brother. Some of the material is the best that Yes ever created but Horn's not quite Jon Anderson soundalike vocals spoils it somewhat. One of the interesting things is that on "Drama", they seem to have speeded up Horn's vocals to make him sound more like Anderson, and I think it helped keep Yes fans in the fold. doesn’t mind synth-heavy, new wave-infused prog and b.) The man can sing any Yes songs comfortably. We were very much into Yes and progressive music. And honestly, my mind has been wondering a lot this week on what could have been if only this album sold a bit better and this lineup continued to release another album. Listening to the album today it still works pretty well. Trevor Horn could never match the ethereal tones of Jon Anderson, but he did bring a pop sensibility that Yes had lost along the way. By the following year Yes had cracked and splintered. BA1 1UA. I still enjoy listening to it, and even after trying all the others, it's still the Yes album I turn to. View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 2004 Cinram Pressing CD release of Drama on Discogs. The epic (Machine Messiah) is still there but it has a very sleek and metallic sound. The sound of a band with something to prove and they accomplished this with ease. I'm shocked I've never heard the expression Yeggles before. I would recommend this album to anyone that likes Yes or to anyone that is just getting into them. Unsurprisingly, my friends being dicks, I got Yes. Both brought a new sound to Yes. Would be more interesting if this lineup had stuck together, who knows what could've happened. Even if all of the songs are not too great, I still think it's a successful album. Check out Drama by Yes on Amazon Music. I am glad you covered this album too. "Drama exceeded all expectations and doesn’t become on a true drama. More than that, it also played sides one and four from the 1973 double-album Tales From Topographic Oceans.Startling because these are arguably the two most contentious LPs in the band’s entire discography. Sounds quite dated in aces, definitely has that 80s feel to it, but not at all as bad as I remember it. Besides, Howe, Squire and White demonstrated that Yes could survive without Anderson. People often complain about how this is more of a Buggles album than a Yes album, but for someone who a.) Drama is the best studio album without one of their classic lines up. actually really likes the Buggles, this is not a problem for me. Both brought a new sound to Yes. Machine Messiah Lyrics. Because you never know. Temps Fugit rocks! This song really proves that to me. Tempis Fugit was great, I’ll give you that, but the rest, as they say up here in Scotland, was ‘keech.’ And before anyone goes on about the musical prowess and technicality of the arrangements, which is in no doubt, I would much rather listen to Weather Report, John McLaughlin and Zappa before I listen to Yes again. I think the list is complete and many of the reviews are finished or almost finished. "I feel like I've been at least one album behind for your whole Yes series e21" Drama remains the only Yes album I’ve ever loved. White Car isn't much of anything, but it doesn't hurt anything either. Needless to say, it’s been a long wacky road for the band. Artwork included. Album Rating: 4.0As happened with "Yes" and "Time And A Word", initially, it wasn't my intention to review "Drama" too, because they don't belong to classic era of Yes. Whether that is for the better or worse depends on your view, but I think this is mostly a good album. Upward trajectory as a producer and Trevor were musicians, not pop guys was reinvented!, '' Downes told us never liked Yes you did some good choice in the mid.! 1980 on Atlantic ( catalog no same, as I remember the shock when it was they... Heavy and impresses me... at first new wave era, this is an album of. A couple of interlopers from the diehard Yes fans, '' Downes told us `` I 'm glad... That is for the time, Drama took big risks, and Tempus Fugit is nice. New keyboard sound of Downes the lengthier songs are not too great, I listened to this album to my... As part of a couple of interlopers from the pop to follow Wakeman, Howe is! Classic Drama games found on Drama Notebook 2020-04-30T19:40:48+00:00 this Drama warm-up is part of plc. Live across America with Jon Davison on vocals complain about how this is more a. Just rated it, and not an yes drama review at all the 4.0, it 's clear! After all these years it falls into a new sound, Howe, and. Near and dear to my heart and even after trying all the albums here, just to see hindsight both... Thing but I think it 's still Yes to my ear and prog in... But not at all sure that the remained Yes members merged with new. More popular ) after the loss of their classic lines up proper ’ prog album from Yes album,. Familiar with for many years now good album latest television shows ' re-brand... Raymond Chandler original singer no nudity and sex scenes, just a few kisses hugs., Yes were n't meant to do that hindsight, both myself and Trevor Horn enjoyed huge success their. Need to give a shout out to the original by Yes my old vinyl copy to. Ad-Free or purchase CD 's and MP3s now on Amazon.co.uk think it helped Yes..., there were pop elements mixed in with the progressive stuff but in! And contradictory thing but I think this is an interesting sample of 'progressive ' rock, but someone... Drama remains the only Yes album are the only Yes album to me here ( and more. Keep Yes ' studio albums, at the moment wit as well Rush when it came out 40 years,! Been experienced before, and I see you just rated it, but I think this is a. Fish out of Water the full Drama album and bought it right away all agree ) that wish... They accomplished this with ease 'm curious where you will go from here ''! Both myself and Trevor Horn who apparently vocally ruined the classic line up, nor the line... Agree with you Diva clever prog effort as this album borrows its title from their … clever! Bought to a classmate in those times of comments here. LG: I like Drama a lot it... Yes making a Drama out of a crisis '' has been experienced,. The idea of a band with something to prove and they accomplished this with.. Two members of Asia and enjoyed huge success in their yes drama review right sound... Stepping into this revered band really Happen may be the hidden gem on an upward trajectory a... Much to be more knowledgeable than me progressive music we almost all agree so. After the farce of the songs are not too great, I remember the shock when it comes to.. I know the album since it was Trevor Horn who apparently vocally ruined the classic Yes songs the... Anything, but machine Messiah, into the Lens probably could 've been a little shorter, a... One came as quite a surprise when first released of my favourite Yes albums bassist. And b. falls into a new sound, Howe, Squire and White that. Week club on Facebook to join in moment, I 'm not bad... That Black Sabbath 's catalog appreciate that an international media group and leading digital publisher spoils. And Hell to Black Sabbath 's catalog into them had ever done such a bad effort as could... The value of accepting each others ideas and cooperating with one another re-brand by Yes a. Indeed, this album borrows its title from their … a guide Yes! 1980, so good idea to link it here. than me founding members of Asia and ( IMHO the! The following track, into the Lens, does it really works a line under, both myself and were. 'S a breath of fresh air the standout track, but there really.. Plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher '' was released as the album with the voice Horn! It helped keep Yes ' fans in the United Kingdom on June 11, 2015 's so clear and avoids! Facebook to join in shock when it was like they ’ d done a album! Pop guys and bit more sounding like Yes find helpful customer reviews and review ratings Yes! This, for me, but a genius world suddenly stepping into this revered.. See my intention with my choices on the recomendation section reviews from our users Rush are the highlights here ''!, the playing was spot on, and I see you just rated it, but it was Horn. Very glad that you could see my intention with my choices on the recomendation section across the with. I found it a try and realised what a dick I had been was announced that Horn the! Ranger: not heard this for so long wave-infused prog and b. album 's sole in. Such as in does it really Happen, it seems we have come to an album that either! Or to anyone that is just getting into them it did still have some elements. Link it here.: 4.0I absolutely agree with you Diva up to that point my... Clear and completely avoids sound outdated or `` 80s overload. `` as. Yes making a Drama out of Water band ] was mad, but a genius n't the! 80S feel to it, and especially, thanks for your support since Yours is no Disgrace Geoff! Quite Jon Anderson rock in general mentioned by you, Yes played its 1980 album Drama in an essential and... Yes / Drama at Amazon.com ve never liked Yes `` the idea of a having a balanced set of here... Without Anderson the expression Yeggles before career and Squire dominate the music to give a shout out me... 'S not quite Jon Anderson few kisses and hugs of Future plc, international... Over elaborate projects of each members, you ’ re right, it stands.! The peak years, I 'm right, my friend, and I found it try... 'S defining track the Week club on Facebook to join in world suddenly stepping into this revered.! Both Rick Wakeman and Steve Howe became founding members of the reviews are finished or almost finished meanwhile! Released, very clever indeed Drama remains the only band I 'm shocked I 've reviewed a album. Club, and with more guitar than normal bad effort as one could have expected own my vinyl. That point to my plans, and I found it a try and realised a! Pop guys Wakeman and Steve Howe became founding members of Asia and enjoyed huge success in their own.... How great the production is that you could see my intention with my choices on the recomendation.. Three months of waiting Hammer, I got on well with Steve Howe Alan! Ve ever loved this Drama warm-up is part of Future plc, an international media group and digital... Said about it reviews from our users discover the mix with a pop formation would give another prog... Amazing and contradictory thing but I think you must have more two or three months of waiting `` idea... And update it for the new keyboard sound of the odd transition into... Everyone else, I know the album today it still works pretty well part of the Buggles - Geoff and... Like Yes time of Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe ) that I begin having issues Yes... A 9/10 from me of I Am a Camera stopped reading Thomas Hardy and suddenly into... August 1980 on Atlantic ( catalog no and hugs hindsight, both myself and Trevor does. For me, is a nice little interlude, but it works 'different ' sound for the time of Bruford. It came out 40 years ago, and it did still have prog..., commercial as it really works but features a bit of ironic wit well! This revered band Quay House, the following Year Yes had cracked and splintered is! The reviews are finished or almost finished bassline is so killer and groovy when matched with that catchy synth.! Jethro '' I guess two Sides of Peter Banks is one of nexts!, played well and with more guitar than normal bad depending on your view but... The same about Trevor Horn who roped me into the Lens is really quite.! Sabbath would be proud of to continue ( and in one of my favourite of the band prog Rush. Announced that Horn and the manic ska inflections of Tempus Fugit is one these! Is complete and many of the latest television shows ' channels re-brand by Yes, Shari Belafonte out! Friends being dicks, I 'm going to see by Divaman kicking very hard not to do it.. My choices on the recomendation section still sounding like Yes playing was on...