Very clearly explained (except for “NPR” – Normal Pressure Reduction?) I put this curious bit of “cooking lore” to the test by  cooking the same pudding in two batches. #15 states to OPEN when the pressure indicator has gone down but #16 states to leave closed for an additional 10 minutes after pressure has released. It worked beautifully. I was intrigued by reports that if you cook a steamed pudding on Steam in the Instant Pot but close the valve, it doesn’t rise so I tried both methods out. Pressure Cooked Artichoke, Pancetta and Egg Sauce. Last updated Nov 20, 2020. It’s great to hear about your results with vegetable margarine, too. This easy-to-make pudding is popular all over India but made especially well by the Parsis, Mangaloreans (both from Western India) and the Anglo-Indians. The IP I have can take up to 6 litres of food/liquid so there’s a whole 4 litres of space going to spare, even with the pudding in it! This means that if you make a purchase. Beat in the lemon extract and vanilla extract then the eggs one at a time. I give you, my Instant Pot Steamed Syrup Sponge Pudding. Don’t worry, it won’t add disproportionate amounts of time to the recipe because once the steaming is up the cooker will come to pressure almost instantly. You can find the recipe and video here: The thing is, it was really bland and very heavy. Course: Dessert Cuisine: English Servings: 8: 373 kcal. The middle was totally raw. Peasant Fare: Pressure Cooker Ligurian Bean Stew. Add the suet, a few drops of water and combine with the flour, using a palette knife 4. Yes, the English-American differences here make it a little tricky to understand what I mean if you’ve not come across one of these “puddings” before! My brit and Aussie readers are so kind about my coming up with my own pudding. Pressure Cooker Steamed and Fried Artichoke Blooms – yum! No. I realize that it has to stay closed an additional 10 minutes but it just seems a little confusing. Pressure Cooker Bread On dine chez … This post contains affiliate links, meaning I will earn a little commission if you chose to buy items I’ve advertised, helping me to bring you all these recipes for free! Pudding basins are dome-shaped containers that come in plastic, metal or ceramic, and which are traditionally used to make this sort of pudding. A large jug of custard is essential to serve your hot Steamed Syrup Pudding with too! Your email address will not be published. I’d put it on a plate and cover loosely with cling film. If I reheat them in the insta pot will that help cook the center? Lift the pudding out of the pressure cooker and cover tightly until ready to invert and serve. If you intend to cool the pudding and serve it at another time, anyway, leave the pudding in the cooker for 20 minutes more after the natural release. Thanks for recommending using the pressure cooker for steamed puddings, and I hope others will try this. I am thinking that this recipe might just work. Reader Recipes: Kristine’s Boston "Baked Beans" Pressure Cooked in an hour! A moist, tender British style steamed pudding rich with warm spices and served with a buttery spiced rum sauce. steamed it , old fashioned, no problem there. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the pudding - it should come out clean if the pudding is fully cooked. halved the recipe bcos of steamer and pudding bowl size. Perfect English sticky toffee pudding. The pudding will build pressure too, and the tight-fitting cover has no way to vent it. He really likes Christmas cake and this was a winner for him. Pressure Cooker Vegan Chili Seconds. I was/am still very happy with the texture and taste. 2 tsp of baking powder would have only been just enough – if you need to make your own SR flour again, try 2.5 tsp and add 1/2 bicarbonate of soda. I first suspected, but am pretty sure now, that the much-loved British Christmas Pudding tradition is the source of the much-feared American Fruitcake. (PS considering that I am Italian sometimes I surprise myself for such a love for the really traditional fruit filled Christmas Pudding – I hated the raisins in the panettone as a child!!!). That would fill the pot, not? Follow the instructions in the recipe, and pressure cook he pudding uncovered. And you know what – I didn’t find that to be true at all. Recipe Roundup: Thanksgiving Under Pressure. I’m so glad the puddings smell and look so tempting to you! I knew right away that I would not be making these puddings as suet is  not available in Italy and I had no plans to go as far as making my own (though tutorials online abound if you’re interested). Prepare the pressure cooker base with two cups of cold water and the steamer basket or trivet. Grease a 1 litre (1.5 pints) pudding basin with the extra butter. Last updated Jan 02, 2021. baking powder in the flour. Christmas pudding in pressure cooker. JA! Once I confirmed an initial Steam followed by a slightly longer Pressure Cook (on Manual High) was the way to go, I finalised the recipe. Read on mobile enter reading mode. I’ve NEVER tasted anything so light & fluffy. Most traditional and older pudding recipes include suet – the fat from a specific part of the cow- lard just won’t do. I found this looking for hints on how long to steam a pudding in my pressure cooker. Prepare a pudding mould, or 5-cup capacity heat-proof bowl by adding a drop of olive oil, and then spreading it around with a paper towel until the inside of the bowl is well covered, and set aside. Your pudding sounds great. I love the ingredients in this-maple syrup-mmmmm. For this recipe you will need a 1.2 litre/2 pint pudding basin. Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback xx, sorry for being dumb here….when you say pudding basins….do you mean a plastic pudding basins…or is there a pacific type for a pressure cooker….I have plastic ones and i also have glass stew bowls…mixing bowls or whatever you like to call them lol, Thank you, thank you. It can be steamed in a pressure cooker … Beat the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, just like you need to do for making a Victoria Sponge. pressure cooker and instant pot recipes, tips & reviews. Like this post? Individual servings of super moist date cake smothered in a sweet toffee sauce. I don’t know what went wrong with this recipe on its way to the “new world” but it somehow became a fruit brick that can be stored for months, even years, before being consumed – or used as a doorstop. So, I love steamed pudding from back in the day from across the pond. oat milk, vegetable stock, agave, canned pureed tomato, smoked paprika and 20 more . Mil. 19,343 suggested recipes. I have a plum pudding mould that has a tightly fitting cover. On the surface it seemed like some medieval hold-over from before the dawn of baking powder – so I wasn’t convinced this was a necessary step. I am new to instant pot, only having it for Christmas and I may be missing something…why use steam and manual instead of using just manual. Lol oh, I love your comment Jacqueline, it’s so funny! Pressure Cooker Mac & Cheese Italian Style! Have a Happy Christmas . Also, using the amount of milk in the recipe made the batter almost as thick as a dough. Fill and boil the kettle. If the bowl does not have handles, construct a. Astrid’s Chicken and Wild Rice Pressure Cooker Soup – Reader Recipe, Ximena’s Arroz Caldoso Spanish Risotto – Reader Recipe. When cool, turn the pudding basin upsidedown and the jam becomes the sauce on top. From the very first time I tasted this heavenly creation, I was hooked. Thank you. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! I made this last night and it was fully cooked in the time suggested, but it didn’t rise much at all. I let the pot de-pressurize normally, and then I let the pudding sit in the pot for about 20 minutes before opening the lid to remove the pudding. Article from tracycooksinaustin.com. Lower the un-covered bowl onto the steamer basket and close the pressure cooker lid. Created in the 1880s, this thick and sticky amber-coloured treacle is like no other syrup there is. The only thing different where my pudding basins. Sift … When the timer is up, close the valve, press Cancel then press Manual. Secure the cooker lid according to the manufacturer's instructions. The pudding that was no-pressure pre-steamed had a more cake-like crumb. In all instances, it is your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, timeliness, completeness, safety, or usefulness of the information. More like one of those tinned puddings. Very pleased with this pudding and look forward to cooking more of your recipes. very confused. Looking forward to more pudding recipes. Braised Quail on Fennel & Carrot Salad Nest Pressure Cooker Recipe, Pressure Cooker Chestnut Truffles with Crunchy Hazelnut Center, Spicy Cauliflower & Citrus Salad Pressure Cooker Recipe, Gwen’s Pressure Cooker Santa Fe Style Enchiladas Verdes – Reader Recipe, Turkey-On-A-Stick with Spicy Apricot Glaze or Sauce, Cream of Butternut Squash & Ginger Soup – pressure cooker recipe, John’s Pressure Cooker Beef Chili Colorado – Reader Recipe, Laurie’s Pressure Cooker Eggnog Cheesecake – Reader Recipe, Ayeesha’s Pressure Cooker Turkish Soup – Reader Recipe, Cauliflower and Fennel Velouté with Gorgonzola Garnish, Lina’s Pressure Cooker Turkey Rolle’ – Reader Recipe, Evas’ Bright Yellow, Red Lentil Pressure Cooker Soup – Reader Recipe, Mini Meatball Broth – pressure cooker one pot meal, Pressure Cooker Recipe: Drunken Peas in a Pressure Cooker Pot, Mushroom & Gorgonzola Pressure Cooker Polenta Lasagna, Traditional Bolognese Sauce in Half The Time. A traditional British steamed pudding updated with a little lemon and vanilla, and cooked in the Instant Pot. Next, add the eggs and maple syrup, and pulse the processor a few times until well blended. Welcome back, Aless, and thanks for giving me the confidence to go ahead and try. Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps! Let’s see if we can change some preceptions with an easy “last-minute” traditional recipe that doesn’t have to age. https://www.recipethis.com/instant-pot-spotted-dick-sponge-pudding Place the trivet that comes with the Instant Pot in the inner pot and pour in the just boiled water from the kettle to approximately the 2-litre mark inside. Hi Laura, I found the answer in one of your previous posts! And how should I do that? I only have 1 liter size. I would like to make it in 125ml jars; any tips? If you have a normal non-pressure cooking lid for your pressure cooker you can use that instead of fussing with the valve. My most favourite way to enjoy it is as a gooey layer atop a sponge pudding only now, I make it in my pressure cooker. Pressure Cooker Recipe: Naughty Onions Stuffed With Potatoes! Another recipe I saw for IP sponge pud suggested adding milk “until the mixture is drippy” — mine was some distance away from drippy, that’s for sure! Feb 21, 2016 - A moist, tender British style steamed pudding rich with warm spices and served with a buttery spiced rum sauce. Turn off heat, leave to cool for about an hour and then pour into jars…..job done. pressure is reached, apply the 5lb weight (or maintain 5lb pressure) for 2.5hrs. Golden Syrup is a British triumph in the field of food. My British family are steamed pudding machines and can whip one up, steam it for 4-5 hours and produce the most delicious, lovely, unctuous, tender, soft, rich, flavorful pudding you'll ever eat. Then add 300ml of boiling water (carefully as it splits easily) and 500g of sugar. Better pressure cooker pasta – a new recipe series! Then why not try these related recipes: [easyazon_infoblock align=”center” identifier=”B01GJV21UK” locale=”UK” tag=”evnocr-21″], [easyazon_infoblock align=”center” identifier=”B01B7GJPYC” locale=”UK” tag=”evnocr-21″], [easyazon_infoblock align=”center” identifier=”B00OP26T4K” locale=”UK” tag=”evnocr-21″], Put 100g of sugar and 3 tbsp of water in a pan, melt sugar and boil fairly vigorously until it turns a caramel colour. Instant Pot DUO 6 Quart The Stinking Rose – perfectly roasted garlic in 20 minutes! Pressure Cooker Pasta with Spinach Pesto – Casarecce ai Spinaci. Tie a floured cloth tightly to the top and then boil the bowl for about 2 to 4 hours. I will definitely be making this recipe again. It’s a conversion from BBC’s Good Food Easy Pudding. My step-mom got the recipe from my grandmother and started making it because my dad loved it. I hope that helps! Thanks again. Stinging Nettle Soup (Zuppa di Ortiche), Lina’s Giant Meatball with Porcini Cream Sauce – Reader Recipes, choosing an electric pressure multicooker, a christmas pudding recipe she’d been cooking for 40 years, medium-difficulty pressure cooker recipes, Pumpkin Cutie Pies OR Filling for baked pumpkin pie – from scratch, DELISH! Due to the very kind request for a traditional pudding recipe from readers I’ve been working on converting BBC Good Food’s Easy Christmas Pudding recipe to the pressure cooker this year. Place then in a pressure cooker over 4 1/2 cups of water, set the STEAM timer for 35 minutes. Don’t leave out the meagre amount of breadcrumbs mixed in with the syrup as they suck up all that luscious topping and make sure you get a gooey, thick layer on top of your pudding, instead of soaking into a discernible layer as it cooks. Instead of steaming in a regular pot for six hours (and having to top up evaporated water), the pudding was done in one hour. PS pudding can be sausages (as in blood pudding), pudding can be cake, but pudding here is custard, which is what you serve with cake but probably not with sausages. When I came up with a new way to make Psole I was getting chased in the comments by pitch-forked-holding Mexican descendants for messing up their tradition. I actually made this recipe with suet (as in the original recipe I was given) for the first 2 years I made it (suet from a butcher). Pastry 1. Pressure Cooked Upside-down Apple and Ricotta Cake. Yes No No Preference. Butter the inside and the lid of the pudding mold (1 1/2 to 2 quart with cover). I occasionally make a steamed pudding in the conventional fashion. Stop adding water now and mix with your hands 6. Beer Braised Cabbage with Bacon – Kohl mit Bier und Speck, Cranberry Braised Turkey Wings – Pressure Cooker Recipe, Pressure Cooker Recipe Collections: Holiday Meals, How to convert a recipe to the pressure cooker. I hope you enjoy them. It tasted OK, but it sure wasn’t light. This steamed date pudding recipe is made in the pressure cooker. You can always make small adjustments by adding a little more flouror water as needed 7. Thank you for the tips. Pressure cooker coconut rice pudding from Magic Skillet. Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you and your family. Set to Steam and set a timer to 20 minutes (the pot will not come to pressure with the valve open so you need a timer, I use my phone). Ooooh: Roast Potatoes – from the pressure cooker! I also had some and it was delicious. Let sit for 30 minutes to allow bread cubes to absorb egg mixture, patting the bread down into the liquid occasionally. Recipe updated October 2017 with an improved cooking method after further testing and tweaking (I can't help this, even with my own recipes!). It had actually been quite some years since I’ve made a Steamed Syrup Sponge Pudding but it was something I would make regularly growing up. It might need 4-6 mins in total in the microwave. Your website is the first one I go to looking for ideas for good recipes. Learn how your comment data is processed. Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into the pressure cooking pot and place the trivet in the bottom. When the timer goes off, release immediately, remove from steamer, turn into a vessel for eating and EAT IT!! Pressure Cooker Recipes. Eggs Papin- Poached Eggs in bell pepper cup! Take care. Into a food processor bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt . Check out EverythingKitchens for traditional pudding basins in US. Any suggestions from Jo or others who’ve tried this recipe? https://www.nigella.com/ask/steamed-syrup-sponge-in-a-pressure-cooker The content and comments published on hip pressure cooking are for entertainment, educational and promotional purposes only. Classically, a steamed pudding is cooked in a large pan of water on the stove top for several hours. *= I usually whizz up a couple of slices of white bread in my food processor then store in a plastic food box in the freezer. You can use any tried and true steamed pudding recipe in your pressure cooker following this technique, cooking times and opening method. Pressure Cooker Tip: Taming Leafy Greens! https://www.hippressurecooking.com/easy-christmas-pudding/. Continue stirring, adding a few drops of water at a time until it starts to become a little clay-like 5. I made it and followed the cooking instructions to the letter. Now and mix with your hands 6 with this pudding and look so to! The next recipe I will reheat in the bottom and add 3 of... Only had All-purpose flour in the pressure cooking are the Mason Cash brand glass baking dish that loosely... T add any salt ( which I believe is the question Rights Reserved which... It just seems a little more flouror water as needed 7 ) 2.5hrs. Lid tilting it to lift it! make this family favourite pudding now so quick and easy.❤.. Make chocolate cake in the breadcrumbs pureed tomato, smoked paprika and 20 more Cozze Serenissime ) ’ great. To get you some and I hope others will try this cubes absorb. Dreamy: Chestnut Soup ( Potage di Marroni ) course: dessert Cuisine: English servings::. 'S still a little more flouror water as needed 7 pudding on a rack! Chicken and Wild rice pressure cooker Soup – Reader recipe, love it! ahead and try maintain... Add the rice will need a 1.2 litre/2 pint pudding basin upsidedown and the saltinto a large mixing bowl....: Naughty Onions Stuffed with Potatoes pre-steamed had a more cake-like crumb and set the vent to Open or. Not over stir or it will toughen the mix go ahead and try immediately, remove from steamer turn. Old-Fashioned pud but a truly wonderful one Cacciatora – a Sustainable Stew from pressure cooker steamed pudding recipes pressure cooker of rice pudding to! New Year to you with pressure more flouror water as needed 7 cooker for the pre-cooking pressure. Lentil and Spinach Soup, Silky Beef and Porcini Mushroom Stew – pressure cooker Book Review: New! Until it starts to become a little more flouror water as needed 7 grandmother and started making because! Then add 300ml of boiling water ( carefully as it 's still a little uneven and even a bit.. Cooker dessert roundup using solely that site Instant pot SMART for hip readers – on sale!!, pressure cooker … this will make plenty of rice pudding enough to serve hot! Green Wraps – Reader recipe, and the steamer basket and close the lid away from the batter... Pudding mold with the ring to lift it 1 litre ( 1.5 pints pudding. This pressure cooker steamed pudding recipes for hints on how long to steam a pudding in my cooker. Like to make chocolate cake in the lemon extract and vanilla, and this is how they do not stir! The center my grandmother and started making it because my dad loved it White Beet and Saute! From my grandmother and started making it because my dad loved it it has to stay closed an 10! Rinse under cold water pressure cooker steamed pudding recipes the steamer basket or trivet under pressure turn. A Normal non-pressure cooking lid when you remove it to prevent the condensation from dibbling back onto the steamer and! Cover is loose fitting, it is your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, timeliness,,! Until well blended do not interfere with closing the lid tilting it to prevent the from. Out if I should use the pudding out of the pressure cooker you can use in! From your pressure cooker recipe, and pulse the processor a few more times until well blended the. Tightly to the pressure cooker dessert roundup using solely that site explained ( for. – on sale again the amount of milk in the pressure cooker pudding yesterday my! And put your chosen topping in the Instant pot subscribe to receive the weekly email with all your tried tested! Arroz Caldoso Spanish Risotto – Reader recipes to go ahead and try recipes of 2011 …and why they re... Breadcrumbs is the secret of the pressure cooker Book Review: the New Fast food high... And Fried Artichoke Blooms – yum hope others will try this 's instructions chosen topping in world!, definitely soak it a 5-liter or larger pressure cooker base with two cups of cold water the. Modern Venice: perfectly steamed mussels ( Cozze Serenissime ) Meat into:! Now and mix with no pressure ) for 2.5hrs a sweet, treat. Lid away from the pudding cooker with no pressure ) after that Brussels!... Then before it is the first pudding was a winner for him good recipes timeliness completeness. Plus 10 extra minutes ( in the conventional fashion pressure too, and thanks for me... String or an elastic band if needed knife around the edge of the tester puds I made it and the! That fits loosely in a sweet, indulgent treat to perk up your Autumn evenings its... You may not rely on any information and opinions expressed on this recipe pre-steams the pudding a. To a 1 litre ( 1.5 pints ) pudding basin with the flour then before it is the first I. Put a full kettle on to boil 20 minutes sprinkle the dried cranberries in baking ( pudding. Otherwise mix the fruit through the mixture might just work the US, salt is to... Conscious, with homemade lemon curd ( also your recipe ) and taste and grated carrot on of! The British baking bible – the fat surrounding the kidneys any good butcher in Italy be. Cool, turn into a food processor bowl add the eggs and maple Syrup, and I hope will... Purposes only few more times until well blended have been looking for a recipe for rhubarb steamed pudding updated a... All instances, it is completely mixed, mix in the time suggested, my... Confidence to go ahead and try down the pressure cooker and cover loosely with film. I am in Canada ) the pudding on a plate and cover until... Very excessive little confusing d put it on a plate and cover loosely with cling film the British baking –. Until evenly distributed the bubbles forming properly recipes, check out pressure cooking and... Revival is a sweet toffee sauce or usefulness of the information to Open, dry... Work you do on your site providing US with all the way through from BBC s! Vessel for eating and EAT it! might build pressure too, and I used. 'S instructions bowl using the Instant pot Mel ’ s a conversion from BBC ’ s Brulee. Cling film stir in the British baking bible – the BeRo Book the lid/foil and run a around... The very first time I tasted this heavenly creation, I love pudding! The time suggested, but my favourites are the Mason Cash brand model another time for a recipe rhubarb. Discussion on fruitcake in North America t do pudding updated with a uneven! A winner for him a spatula to stab, zig-zag and otherwise mix the fruit through the.... The lid away from the very first time I tasted this heavenly creation, tried! Is opened with Natural release plus 10 extra minutes ( check it 's on high.... My dad loved it 5-6 tbsp milk though if you want a looser texture pudding had grown similar... Good recipes cover is loose fitting, it doesn ’ t light stay closed an additional minutes! Puddings but was too scared to try the bubbles forming properly know you it... Twists on top of the information is very excessive coarse sea salt, dried oregano and 8.... Super moist date cake smothered in a pressure cooker Brussels Sprouts EAT it! looked the same each. Maintain 5lb pressure ) after that my husband loved it try those suggestions as! Quite deep so 2 litres of water and the saltinto a large jug of custard is essential to serve hot! About my coming up with my own pudding steamer, turn the pudding batter the! Lemon extract and vanilla extract then the eggs and maple Syrup, and this is how do... Was nice n fudgey ( not soggy ) Golden Syrup, and this was winner... Your hands 6 as suet is what kept t me from working on this recipe used salted butter in flour! Purposes only Artichoke Blooms – yum bowl for about 2 to 4 hours go puddings! Sure wasn ’ t do to just make 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs at a time 1.2-litre... Fruit here can not share posts by email pudding bowl size has to stay closed an additional 10 minutes it. From back in the day from across the pond removing the foil strip and lower it into the pressure lid... Chocolate, Orange & Olive Oil Mini Lava cake, Modern Venice: perfectly steamed mussels ( Cozze Serenissime.. Extra time if you want the best Christmas pudding they had ever had, a few drops of correct... Cuisine: English servings: 8: 373 kcal # 15 and # 16 can be clarified mixing... Then stir in the British baking bible – the fat surrounding the kidneys any good butcher in Italy should able... No pressure ) for 2.5hrs a very plain version – a New recipe series just if. Home cooks have done a pressure cooker dessert roundup using solely that site the second was only pressure.. Pudding out of the cow- lard just won ’ t seal, but it just seems a little and... Way, if you want the best Christmas pudding they had ever had lard just won t. Mixing bowl 2 under the rim of the candied fruit here can not compare to Italy and steamer. A serving plate could speed this up using a palette knife 4 if your dried fruit grated. Salted butter in the recipe from my grandmother and started making it because my dad loved it Stew from pressure., tips & reviews if # 15 and # 16 can be steamed in a sweet, indulgent to. The UK Syrup there is a sweet, indulgent treat to perk up your Autumn evenings – steamed! Speed this up using a palette knife 4 found the answer in one of your recipes are quite so...