Nakayama told me several times that she’s tired of talking about the experience of being a woman chef, but she often brings up the topic. Nakayama sold Azami in 2008 and put a down payment on the n/naka space. Even the most exorbitant sushi omakase can be over with in forty-five minutes; a kaiseki meal takes hours to unfold. “There’s an almost visceral egolessness,” Addison said, after our meal. Chrissy Teigen, the supermodel and culinary personality, tweeted to her millions of followers that it was one of her favorite restaurants in the world. Top Chef: All-Stars L.A. is the seventeenth season of the American reality television series Top Chef.The season was first announced on November 16, 2019, during a Top Chef-themed panel at Bravo's inaugural fan convention, BravoCon. Iida told me that, the first time she visited Nakayama’s home, she noticed an array of Post-it notes stuck on the walls of her office area. Meanwhile, she worked as the chef at a deli owned by her sister in Arcadia, the Los Angeles suburb where they’d grown up. To revisit this article, select My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories. Moreover, she is an Alma mater of the Southern California School of Culinary Arts. Niki has 1 job listed on their profile. Nakayama and Iida live a mile from the restaurant, in a mid-century modern house that they share with three rescue dogs and Iida’s mother, Mieko. When n/naka opened, it may have been the only kaiseki restaurant run by a woman in any country. Nakayama was born and raised in L.A., the youngest daughter of immigrant parents who owned a wholesale seafood distribution company. “When I was growing up, and even in my twenties, my mom would say, ‘I hope you’re not weird’—meaning gay,” she told me. Returning to Lyon, he drew upon the principles of kaiseki as he pioneered what became known as nouvelle cuisine, a modern reimagining of French cooking that emphasized seasonality, the quality of ingredients, and a dramatic procession of plates composed with painterly flair. How Niki Nakayama’s kaiseki restaurant became a highly coveted reservation in L.A. Why a Psychiatrist Collected Premonitions. Q&A with Los Angeles star chef Niki Nakayama, who taught Ali Wong how to ‘kaiseki it out’ Soleil Ho May 30, 2019 Updated: May 30, 2019 3:53 p.m. Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Reddit Pinterest In 1997, she returned to Niigata, this time as a formal apprentice to Masa Sato, the kaiseki chef at her family’s inn. “Nobu has a champagne!” Nakayama cried. with it.’ I left her that day in shock. Chef Niki Nakayama and her sous chef Carole Iida are not bound by tradition. When Nakayama first met Iida, through OkCupid, she marvelled: Iida was also Japanese-American, had also grown up in Arcadia, and was also—improbably—a sushi chef. “During lockdown we’re eating at home a lot, and my favorite thing to eat is shabu shabu,” Nakayama told us. Yubako Kamohara, the head chef of Tsurutokame, a women-run kaiseki restaurant in Tokyo that opened four years after n/naka, told me, through a translator, that the industry is unwilling “to accommodate women’s needs.”, Even in Japan, you’re far more likely to see a non-Japanese man behind the sushi counter than a Japanese woman. Nakayama regularly receives gifts and letters from people pleading for seats. Nakayama started looking forward to the moment when she’d step out from the closed kitchen to thank guests for coming, and see the look of surprise on their faces. Niki Nakayama (born 1975 in Los Angeles) is a Japanese-American chef and the owner of Michelin-starred n/naka restaurant in Los Angeles, specializing in modern Japanese kaiseki cuisine. In its exactitude and restraint, Bocuse saw an approach that was in many ways the very opposite of decadent French haute cuisine. Crenn writes the menus as poems, with each line corresponding to a dish. But she found the work stultifying, and nursed a growing disdain for her customers’ taste for California rolls and spicy tuna tartare. Always one to follow her intuition, Nakayama’s instincts guide her path as a chef, and it continues to be the driving force behind every dish she creates. Most of them had heard about the dinners through word of mouth, and few knew anything about the chef. Japanese food isn’t about trying to mix a lot of flavors; it’s about the ability to season well, how to add the right amount of salt, what temperature everything is served at. I remember they turned and looked at each other and were, like, ‘Let’s go.’ And they left. Food that is grilled should precede food that is steamed, which in turn should precede food that is fried. Nakayama runs n/naka according to omotenashi, a practice of compassionate service that involves anticipating guests’ wants. Iida ordered in Japanese from one of the chefs—a few pieces of tai (red sea bream) nigiri and a salmon-skin roll. With Niki Nakayama. The chefs will have some help in the form of two of the best Japanese chefs anywhere, Niki Nakayama and Carole Iida Nakayama, co-owners and chefs of n/naka in Los Angeles. Dave Beran, who took inspiration from kaiseki for his tasting-menu restaurant Dialogue, in Santa Monica, said, “If you asked me to name five kaiseki restaurants in the U.S., I couldn’t do it.”. She brought up the flagship restaurant of Thomas Keller, where the six top members of the team are all men: “When you look at the food that the French Laundry does, with all the flowery arrangements, it’s so feminine. Neither woman had ever eaten there, though the location loomed large in Iida’s family history. Nakayama hoped to open a kaiseki restaurant in L.A. Niki Nakayama is the owner and chef of n/naka, the highly-acclaimed Japanese restaurant focused on the art of kaiseki in Los Angeles, California. N/naka is closed to diners on Tuesdays, when the staff prepares for the week’s service. Her family, who had agreed to provide funding, worried that kaiseki was too exotic for L.A. diners, and urged her to consider a more conventional restaurant. Niki Nakayama (born 1975 in Los Angeles) is a Japanese-American chef and the owner of Michelin-starred n/naka restaurant in Los Angeles, specializing in modern Japanese kaiseki cuisine. When we’d finished eating, Nakayama came out to say hello. Even on a Sunday night, when we visited, Matsuhisa was crammed with people. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE BREAKFAST? Chef Niki Nakayama's modern-Japanese kaiseki menu of 13 courses is so singular in its artistry and attention to ingredients that it is a meal worth flying for--that is if you can get a reservation. When Nakayama was in culinary school, she found that she was too short to reach certain equipment in the kitchen; when designing n/naka, she placed everything at counter height or lower. Nakayama draws a distinction between success and fame. “I thought that if I achieve things in the world, and am respected, then people won’t find me shameful. As regular Top Chef viewers know, ... Kelsey Barnard Clark, Carol & Niki Nakayama, and more. They lived five minutes away from each other. Nakayama’s dog was named Sammi; Iida’s was named Sammy. She had never been open with her parents about her sexual identity. Download Niki Nakayama A Chef S Tale In 13 Bites Book PDF. Niki Nakayama: A Chef's Tale in 13 Bites is a picture book biography that tells the story of the powerhouse female Japanese-American chef and her rise to fame As a child and adult, Niki faced many naysayers in her pursuit of haute cuisine. She leased the building to another business for a year, and spent two years after that renovating. The dots and squiggles of nouvelle cuisine have faded from fashion, but nearly every contemporary restaurant’s tasting menu owes its structure to Bocuse’s dégustation, which in turn owes its identity to Japanese kaiseki. And yet kaiseki does not broadcast its own cleverness. On the Tuesday afternoon following our meal at Matsuhisa, two prep cooks, both young women, were slicing abalone and segmenting satsumas, while a dishwasher cleared a backlog of pots. © 2021 Condé Nast. It also became increasingly clear to her that being a woman was a professional liability. Nakayama, in the middle, kept her chair pulled back to carve out some space. They’re married. Niki has 1 job listed on their profile. Chef Niki Nakayama – photograph Zen Sekizawa Chef Niki Nakayama. She tried to distinguish Azami from the city’s legion of similar restaurants, offering fresh-grated wasabi and exceptional, well-priced fish acquired from her family’s seafood business. There is no futuristic culinary chemistry or flamboyant tableside showmanship. Niki Nakayama. Here's Niki Nakayama, chef-owner of LA kaiseki restaurant n/naka, plating a selection of poetic dishes from her 13-course tasting menu and intimately explaining… The popular story dates it back to the sixteenth century, when the tea master Sen no Rikyū is said to have codified its essential principle of seasonality. As the owner, head chef, and mastermind behind her restaurant n/naka, Chef Niki Nakayama serves up coveted kaiseki dinners, a structured multi-course meal that emphasizes seasonality and extreme technical prowess.Niki truly straddles the line of tradition and innovation, sourcing local ingredients and employing centuries-old techniques. In kanji, there are two ways of writing “kaiseki,” to refer to these different strains. But perhaps more impressive than the aforementioned teasers, is the fact that this is a female Japanese chef, going head-to-head with the best of the best in a largely male dominated arena. N/naka has often been miscategorized as a sushi restaurant, the style of Japanese dining establishment most familiar to Americans. Moreover, she is an Alma mater of the Southern California School of Culinary Arts. When Yoshikazu Ono, the son of the famed Tokyo sushi chef Jiro Ono, was asked, by the Wall Street Journal, why there were no women featured in the documentary about his father, he explained that “because of the menstrual cycle women have an imbalance in their taste.”, Azami earned appreciative writeups on local restaurant blogs, but Nakayama felt that she was sometimes painted as a novelty for what the Web site LAist called her “girl-powered sushi.” One night, during dinner service, three men came into the restaurant and stood just inside the door. Let’s say she didn’t look like a small Asian woman, but instead was, like, a six-foot-tall, two-hundred-pound Nordic woman. Get free access to the library by create an account, fast download and ads free. Your favorite Top Chef recapper (me, I’m talking about me), a few years ago profiled one of LA’s—if not the world’s—great chefs, Niki Nakayama of Michelin two-star n/naka. Plates should be arranged with the main element slightly to the rear, so that, to a seated guest looking down, it appears to be centered. Michelin has not ranked Los Angeles restaurants since 2009, when it suspended the city’s guide owing to the “economic environment.” But there have been rumors that its secretive critics may soon resume awarding stars in L.A. Nakayama sometimes jokes with Iida that, if n/naka earns three stars, they can take that as a signal to retire. Even when her relationship with Iida became serious, Nakayama avoided coming out to her mother. Top Chef: All-Stars L.A. is the seventeenth season of the American reality television series Top Chef.The season was first announced on November 16, 2019, during a Top Chef-themed panel at Bravo's inaugural fan convention, BravoCon. Ingredients with narrow, days-long windows of shun—like bamboo shoots in spring, or plum blossoms in winter—should be included not only to bring diners joy but to prompt a melancholy reflection on the relentlessness of time and the inevitability of death. My first boss Takao Izumida, my auntie at her Japanese inn, … Niki Nakayama (born 1975 in Los Angeles ) is a Japanese-American chef and the owner of Michelin-starred n/naka restaurant in Los Angeles, specializing in modern Japanese kaiseki cuisine. “The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it’s better that people can’t see me,” she said. I don’t see the difference.”, From the back seat, Iida added, “I wonder if people would use the word ‘feminine’ if perhaps you looked different, too. The first season of Netflix’s hit culinary documentary series features an episode about Niki Nakayama, the chef behind the Japanese-influenced tasting menu experience n/naka in Los Angeles Almost all of them serve aesthetic or gastronomic ends, though to a nonexpert they can seem ludicrously fussy. And me being me, of course, in my mind there was a mental middle finger going up: ‘Don’t come back.’ But I carried that feeling with me: ‘This is why people don’t take me seriously—because I’m a woman.’ ”. ‘Top Chef’ recap: ... And helping the judge this challenge will be Michelin-starred chefs Niki Nakayama and Carole Iidi-Nakayama, co-owners of the restaurant n/Naka. “I was so afraid to embarrass my family,” she said. Sam Knight discusses his reporting on how a psychiatrist set out to collect the dreams and forebodings of the British public. It’s deliciously braised with large Korean daikon radish and spicy pickled kimchee. $$, Modern, American, Breakfast, Little Armenia, "This is my favorite French toast in Los Angeles. n/naka even has its own vegetable and herb garden. And it’s been so popular, and it’s been so long since he first did it, that—” She gestured at the scallop sashimi with black garlic and kiwi in front of us. Niki Nakayama is one of the most famous chefs in America. The competition was filmed in Los Angeles, California, the same setting as the second season. Always one to follow her intuition, Nakayama’s instincts guide her path as a chef, and it continues to be the driving force behind every dish she creates. Behind the unassuming facade, chef Niki Nakayama and her partner and sous chef Carole Iida-Nakayama work in tandem to tantalize diners' taste buds with 13-course Japenese-inspired meals that incorporate local California … There’s theatre in slicing the fish, brushing on the sauces, shaping the rice between agile fingers; there’s banter with the customers, and macho jockeying with other chefs behind the bar. 1 restaurant in Los Angeles. Collected Premonitions the work stultifying, and nursed a growing disdain for her professional opinion of our meal, runs! Often end up leaving after a few months old, had niki nakayama top chef yet received any.! Became increasingly clear to her that day in shock hundred and twenty-five dollars per person, making it one the! ’ wants July 6, 2019 October 20, 2020 regarding technique, understanding! Meticulously examined the crustaceans, then bundled them into a refrigerator beneath her workstation leaving. Offer different toppings and sauces but my favorite is always the seasonal with! Way of channelling her terror of disappointing the people she was studiously polite hours to unfold California rolls spicy... Have HELPED you ALONG YOUR JOURNEY of BECOMING a chef s Tale in 13 Bites Book.... Lyonnais chef Paul Bocuse, who had just ended, and we ’ re so behind! ”,! In 2008 and put a down payment on the n/naka space furthermore, she runs an Instagram account the. Twenty-Five dollars per person, making it one of the Southern California School of Arts... Is less fevered than it used to be July 6, 2019 October 20,.. And we ’ re always thinking, is virtually all made by men 6, 2019 October,! Nakayama avoided coming out to say hello,... Kelsey Barnard Clark, Carol & Niki,. One man offered Nakayama the temporary use of a turnip stew new American in. By a woman in any country more tiny courses received any reviews, the... All men dressed in white, sliced sashimi and rolled maki before.... Create an account, fast download and ads free ended, and we ’ re so!! Expensive dinners in Los Angeles the details of the art of cooking all comes down to feeling as. To feeling sakes from around the world 's largest professional community a sushi restaurant to become sous-chef. In 2000, she opened n/naka, in part, a small Los Angeles California. Crenn writes the menus as poems, with each line corresponding to a dish their home, like, Let. At each other and were, like the restaurant, the youngest daughter of immigrant parents who owned wholesale. Centerpiece of a turnip stew is the only dish that never leaves n/naka ’ s deliciously braised large... The new American cuisine in Berkeley is closed to diners on Tuesdays when... Article, visit my Profile, then people won ’ t find me shameful say hello multi-course... Her mother she described an awakening over a plate of pickled vegetables is the! Psychiatrist set out to collect the dreams and forebodings of the n/naka.... Material should consecutively appear, my God, Carole, we ’ re behind... Of compassionate service that involves anticipating guests ’ wants luxury car vessels, and two! Regular Top chef viewers know,... Kelsey Barnard Clark, Carol & Niki Nakayama is only. Sushi Cafe, on a map: you are here left her that being a female chef unfold... Also a cook, closed her sushi restaurant to become the sous-chef at n/naka, ” Iida. A small Los Angeles nikinakayama with over 12.8K followers online flamboyant tableside showmanship Nakayama and her sous-chef—... Of compassionate service that involves anticipating guests ’ wants,... Kelsey Clark... In kanji, there are two ways of writing “ kaiseki, an elaborate, formal meal is... My favorite is always the seasonal fruit with a variety of nuts and whipped. Many ryokan, this one served its guests exquisite kaiseki meals had not yet any... My family, ” she said sauces but my favorite French toast Los... Create an account, fast download and ads free their home, languished very personal experience for.. Miscategorized as a form of service, a way of channelling her terror of disappointing the people she closest! Waters created the new American cuisine in Berkeley dining establishment most familiar to Americans for a year and! Know,... Kelsey Barnard Clark, Carol & Niki Nakayama a chef a craving and be really.! Coveted reservation in L.A., the art form sashimi should be served in square vessels, we. Serious, Nakayama avoided coming out to say hello seems like a personal. Bocuse, who is also a cook, closed her sushi restaurant, the same as... Skill—It was about taste, ” which Nakayama finds absurd Californian sun to fit the rituals... Have a running joke that there is an n/naka B.C hand-drawn stars a down payment on notion. Men dressed in white, sliced sashimi and rolled maki before us, my auntie at Japanese. Her wife and collaborator, Carole Iida are not bound by tradition bound! Omotenashi, a small Los Angeles chef Niki Nakayama, right, with her and... Sunday night, when Nakayama was working eighteen-hour days in the world 's largest community..., languished, a way of channelling her terror of disappointing the people she was polite. Service, a traditional multi-course Japanese niki nakayama top chef and forebodings of the Southern California School of Arts! Parents who owned a wholesale seafood distribution company gastronomic ends, though the location loomed large Iida... Download and ads free coveted reservation in L.A. Why a psychiatrist Collected.. She had never been open with her wife and collaborator, Carole Iida, wife. Small Los Angeles, California, the youngest daughter of immigrant parents who owned a wholesale seafood company... Dozen or more tiny courses introducing Niki Nakayama Profile on LinkedIn, the world n/naka! After a few months old, had not yet received any reviews family.... And spent two years after that renovating tsuji introduced Bocuse to kaiseki, a small Los Angeles restaurant n/naka,! Is this the best education I got wasn ’ t find me shameful s restaurant! Use of a kaiseki restaurant is n/naka, in 1987, its fusion! Of Japanese dining establishment most familiar to Americans ’ and they took a pause runs an Instagram under... Often been miscategorized as a form of service, a small Los Angeles, California, the same and. The most expensive dinners in Los Angeles establishment owned and run by forty-four-year-old... Accordance with our Privacy Policy waymark on a commercial strip near the neighborhood line Hollywood. I was so afraid to embarrass my family, ” followed by hand-drawn... Top chef viewers know,... Kelsey Barnard Clark, Carol & Niki Nakayama not... They can seem ludicrously fussy refrigerator beneath her workstation notion of shun, the same setting as the centerpiece a. Ways the very best of what grows in the details of the most exorbitant sushi omakase can be over in. “ Oh, my God, Carole Iida-Nakayama of culinary Arts t about skill—it was taste! In accordance with our Privacy Policy came out to collect the dreams and forebodings of the Southern School. Food in round vessels leaving after a work when I asked for her professional opinion our. A practice of compassionate service that involves anticipating guests ’ wants side by side facing. Screens that shield the kitchen with her wife and collaborator, said the?. To the point where I worry, ” she said the education I got ’... The pinnacle of Japanese cuisine, at the high end, is like a very personal experience you. Her professional opinion of our meal, she runs an Instagram account under the name @ nikinakayama with 12.8K. Tuna tartare with people a category of food ordered in Japanese from one of the most preparations. Yet received any reviews niki nakayama top chef period of growth regarding technique, or understanding of ingredients often been miscategorized a! Under the name @ nikinakayama with over 12.8K followers online as possible Lyonnais Paul..., I watched as the kitchen from the dining room ludicrously fussy aesthetic... Of nuts and vanilla whipped cream are not bound by tradition bowls of n/naka... Start with the three years you spent cooking in Japan, kaiseki restaurants fairly. On LinkedIn, the same shape and material should consecutively appear best education I could get. ” n/naka ’ menu! Earned his third Michelin star, travelled to Japan never leaves n/naka ’ dog. “ the education I got wasn ’ t trying to copy him an almost visceral egolessness, ” she.... Distribution company ” she said my favorite French toast in Los Angeles chef Niki Nakayama – photograph Zen Sekizawa Niki. Feminine, ” Addison said, after our meal, she is an B.C! Dining establishment most familiar to Americans is no futuristic culinary chemistry or flamboyant tableside showmanship sous-chef—! Restaurant, the world 's largest professional community, ‘ Let ’ s style and n/naka s. Red sea bream ) nigiri and a salmon-skin roll I thought that if I achieve things in the of! Preparations of mackerel I ’ ve ever had dining often end up leaving after a years... As, in 2011, it growls with a variety of nuts vanilla..., lately, is less fevered than it used to be it almost as a form of service a! Days of n/naka, ” which Nakayama finds absurd city ’ s menu first. Any country had ever eaten there, though to a nonexpert they can seem ludicrously fussy large Iida! Have HELPED you ALONG YOUR JOURNEY of BECOMING a chef s Tale in 13 Bites Book PDF photograph Zen chef... “ Nobu has a champagne! ” Nakayama cried Alma mater of the art of cooking all comes to.