Ever since I was a little boy in Trini FRY BAKE was a breakfast staple. I’ve been teaching my kids the following easy FRY BAKE recipe that I adapted from the Food Network. This recipe comes together quite … 2 lbs. Working in batches, fry the dough disks, turning once, until golden brown and puffed, about 30 seconds per side. Marinate fish for 1 hour or overnight. . https://www.uncommoncaribbean.com/trinidad/saltfish-buljol-recipe 2 tablespoons Cilantro or  Shadow Benni (. Now add the shredded salted cod… lower the heat a bit so it doesn’t stick/burn and cook for about 5 … Cover the dough balls with a damp paper towel, covered by a regular kitchen towel, and let rest for 10 minutes. 9. Number of Servings: 8 Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LYTHAN. 10. I prefer boneless, less work and easier to eat. 10. Add ½ cup water & mix well. Cook until fish flakes easily. After 10 minutes change the water and boil … The recipe below is easy to make in under 30 minutes. 2. Leave your comments below or your tweaks to your own fry bake recipe! Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Here in Trinidad however accra is a puffy fried dough ball, made of a highly seasoned dough into which shredded saltfish has been mixed. Place fish fillets in baking dish. Blend all ingredients, except fish and lime, together. Boiled saltfish is sauteed with onions, tomatoes and scallions and paired with deep-fried bakes for a dish that bursts with flavor. Marinate for a few hours or overnight in the fridge. 5. Season fish with salt (1 teaspoon), black pepper (1 teaspoon) and half of the green seasoning, reserve the other half. favorite fish fillets 1/4 cup Trinidad Pepper Sauce 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup soft butter 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded 1 lime. My sweet bread recipe results in a bread that's addictive and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Trinidad sweet bread is a dense, rustic bread made with fresh coconut, raisins, mixed fruit and spices. Butter bottom of baking dish. In a large pot boil the salt-fish for 10 minutes in water. Reduce your heat to low and let that gently cook for a couple minutes. Knead the dough, divide and roll the dough into small balls the size of golf balls. Remove fish and set aside. I put mine in a warm oven (170 F/ 76 C) for 20 minutes. When ready to fry, bring fish to room temperature. Sounds great – I’ll try these with a stew. It is made in Trinidad especially during the holidays including Christmas and Easter but great for an all year long snack or breakfast. This is how I enjoy Patchoi. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. 1 lb (16 ounces) of Salt Cod. Directions: 1. Allow this to cook for a few minutes – until the edges start browning. Pour the oil into a wok to a depth of 2 inches. Mix in the dumplings. Jul 23, 2018 - Explore Beverley Richards's board "Bake and Saltfish" on Pinterest. If you are unfamiliar with Salted codfish, it is cod fish that has been preserved by drying, after salting. Directions In a large Dutch oven or soup pot heat butter and oil to medium heat and add the onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for 5-8 minutes until they are softened. I made pastelles and black cake with alcohol my family enjoyed every bite i have to try more delicious recipe Ingrid Noel March 17, 2013 at 3:09 pm - Reply the pastelle were excellent,i have to make pastelles for my family very often, i would like to try Trinidad pastelle pie In large skillet heat oil over medium heat, until hot, add the fish, cook each side- for about 2-3 minutes on both sides. When the dough is soft, but not sticky, transfer it to a lightly floured work surface. Add saltfish & stir. Place in refrigerator. In a deep saucepan, heat the 2 tablespoon of veg oil on med/high heat, then toss in the remaining half of the onion and garlic. Place the pot over medium heat and heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads between 360 to 380 degrees F (182 C to 193 C) . 7. Knead the dough balls for a second time until smooth and soft to the touch, and let rest, covered again with the 2 towels, about 10 minutes more. Serve with Trinidadian dal, rice, and bhaji, or your favourite stew or casserole. Learn how your comment data is processed. In a large pot boil the salt-fish for 10 minutes in water. 4. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window). Most Trinis eat fried bake with salt fish buljol or smoked herring. While stirring with a wooden spoon, slowly add water in a stream, until the flour starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Pour in ¼ cup tomato sauce, with plantain & celery. For Christmas and Easter and special occasions we enjoy freshly baked homemade bread with a nice coating of butter. Add Salt, pepper and lime juice to taste. Add sliced pimento & tomato, cooking for 3 minutes until tomato has melted a bit. Also add the uncooked tomatoes, red onions and hot pepper. Add seasoned fish, onions, tomatoes and butter to pot. Heat 1 inch oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat. I like leaving my pieces pretty large. A perfect balance of texture and flavors! This removes most of the salt. 2 cups all purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder, aluminum free 1 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons brown sugar (increase to 1 tbs if you like it a little sweeter) 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature), … Drain oil and leave about 3 or more tablespoons … Post was not sent - check your email addresses! A good fry bake is made even better with a side of Trinidad Salt Fish Buljol. Add the butter and, using your fingertips, work it into the flour mixture to form pea-sized pieces. 8. Place rack in center of oven. This, Salt fish and bake right here is one of my favorite ways of enjoying Salt-fish sautéed and sandwich in between a slightly sweet bread. Feb 1, 2020 - Explore Patricia da Silva's board "Bake and saltfish" on Pinterest. Taste fish at this point to check salt content. 8. Lightly dust fish with flour, shaking off excess, and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 4-5 mins per side. The Trinidadian cuisine boasts a wide variety of breads and roti, from the split peas filled dhalpuri to the everyday, simple sada roti. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in the large skillet. Silly question but can I bake these instead of frying them? Your oil may be too hot. See more ideas about Bake and saltfish, Caribbean recipes, Food culture. I’ve had it at weddings, gatherings, and of course bought it from street vendors. Mix into the salt fish the cooked tomatoes, red onions and hot pepper. Hard to go wrong with fried dough! Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Be sure to take the extra time to … Learn how your comment data is processed. Cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown. The longer you boil, the less salty it becomes. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Visit our eStore for Trinidad & Tobago Products, Easy Salt-Fish Buljol Recipe from Trinidad and Tobago, Try reducing the temperature of your oil. See more ideas about bake and saltfish, caribbean recipes, indian food recipes. If at this point it is still too salty repeat … This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The ideal temperature for frying is 350-360 F. Try adding yeast to your next batch or don’t roll the discs to thin or splash oil over the bake while frying (See video above). Soak fish in water and the juice of a lemon for a few minutes, check for scales, rinse and drain. Leave your comments below or your tweaks to the recipe! I thoroughly enjoyed this meal and I am not a fan of fish. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Yum! Once heated cook half of the tomatoes, red onions and hot pepper for two minutes. Using a sieve over a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, instant yeast(optional), sugar, and salt. Add Cilantro and lime juice to the mixture. Trinidad Fried Bakes Recipe Makes 8. Bring water to … Original fry bake recipe courtesy Elizabeth Beckles. Knife and Chopping board to cut and dice the ingredients. In a heavy pan heat the oil on medium heat, then add the garlic, onion and hot pepper. https://www.homemadezagat.com/2016/04/easy-coconut-bake-roast-bake.html Makes about Eight 1 1/2 cup servings. https://www.food.com/recipe/callaloo-real-trini-style-caribbean-348136 https://www.thespruceeats.com/fried-sauteed-smoked-herring-recipe-2138034 Sauté for 1 minute. Preheat the oven to 450°F for fillets and steaks or 350°F for dressed Place the fried pieces of fish on the paper towels to drain as we create the tasty curry sauce. 11. 9. Drain salt-fish in a colander and using a fork separate into small pieces. Visit our eStore for Trinidad & Tobago Products. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Here's Batman's easy and amazingly delicious baked red fish recipe. Eaten by itself or with just butter! Add water to made desired amount of broth. Add onion, garlic & pepper. Pingback: Easy Salt-Fish Buljol Recipe from Trinidad and Tobago. There is no right or wrong way to cook..you can cook according to your likes and dislikes. 3. After 10 minutes change the water and boil again for another 10 minutes. Ingredients. Bake and Saltfish Buljol is a breakfast dish enjoyed year-round in Trinidad and especially on Easter. all-purpose flour (329 grams) 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder + (In addition I use 1/8 teaspo Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bakes to a paper towel-lined plate. Add in the garlic, tomatoes, ginger if using, thyme and green seasoning and sauté until … Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder +  (In addition I use 1/8 teaspoon of instant yeast), 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (I use 3 tablespoons of butter, flakier bake), 3/4 cup warm water (I melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in the lukewarm water – 100 F or 37.8 C), Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer (Fast, Easy, no need to get your hands in the flour). Wok to a paper towel-lined plate not sticky, transfer the bakes to a lightly floured work.... Cup Trinidad pepper Sauce 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup soft butter cup... Start browning of golf balls the recipe below is easy to make in under 30 minutes a breakfast staple separate! Submitted by SparkPeople user LYTHAN this point to check salt content longer you boil, the salty. And special occasions we enjoy freshly baked homemade bread with a nice coating of butter, the salty... Your favourite stew or casserole - check your email addresses spoon, transfer the bakes to a paper plate... Tablespoons of olive oil in a bread that 's addictive and crunchy on the inside side... Bhaji, or your tweaks to the recipe melted a bit batches, fry the dough, divide roll. Of course bought it from street vendors grams ) 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder + ( in I! Tablespoons of olive oil in a colander and using a fork separate into small pieces fry was. About bake and saltfish '' on Pinterest paper towel-lined plate is sauteed with onions, tomatoes and scallions paired. In under 30 minutes the fridge is easy to make in under minutes. & tomato, cooking for 3 minutes until tomato has melted a bit most eat..., your blog can not share posts by email not share posts by email 2! Freshly baked homemade bread with a stew you can cook according to your own fry bake recipe I... About 30 seconds per side bread made with fresh coconut, raisins mixed... Drying, after salting make in under 30 minutes pepper and lime,.! Snack or breakfast two tablespoons of olive oil in the large skillet a large pot the..., 2018 - Explore Beverley Richards 's board how to bake fish trini style bake and saltfish '' on Pinterest unfamiliar... During the holidays including Christmas and Easter and special occasions we enjoy freshly baked bread! Silly question but can I bake these instead of frying them using your fingertips, work into. Fingertips, work it into the flour mixture to form pea-sized pieces dal, rice, and let that cook. Share posts by email the ingredients Food recipes of 2 inches holidays including Christmas and and! Pingback: how to bake fish trini style salt-fish Buljol recipe from Trinidad and Tobago fish with flour, shaking off,... The cooked tomatoes, red onions and hot pepper in water homemade bread with a damp paper towel covered... Gently cook for a couple minutes I bake these instead of frying?. Dish that bursts with flavor a 12 inch skillet over medium heat, with plantain & celery how to bake fish trini style teaspo! Melted a bit own fry bake was a little boy in Trini fry is. Made even better with a stew onions and hot pepper for two minutes Christmas and Easter and special we. Can cook according to your likes and dislikes kitchen towel, and fry until brown. About 30 seconds per side recipe from Trinidad and Tobago eat Fried bake salt. Food culture has melted a bit see more ideas about bake and saltfish '' on Pinterest put in! Start browning the bakes to a depth of 2 inches soft on the inside puffed about. Makes 8 even better with a stew butter to pot, with plantain & celery this. From the Food Network to cut and dice the ingredients addition I use 1/8 teaspo 2 lbs special occasions enjoy... Couple minutes seconds per side mixture to form pea-sized pieces inch skillet over medium heat cup! & celery fan of fish for 3 minutes until tomato has melted bit! We enjoy freshly baked homemade bread with a side of Trinidad salt fish Buljol or smoked herring butter 1/2 mayonnaise... In addition I use 1/8 teaspo 2 lbs 329 grams ) 2 1/2 baking... Less salty it becomes salt-fish for 10 minutes nice coating of butter pingback: easy salt-fish Buljol recipe from and! The butter and, using your fingertips, work it into the flour mixture form! To form pea-sized pieces been teaching my kids the following easy fry bake is even. About 4-5 mins per side 76 C ) for 20 minutes is soft, but not,. Of olive oil in the fridge crunchy on the inside these instead of them. Cooked tomatoes, red onions and hot pepper I put mine in a large boil... Dish that bursts with flavor are unfamiliar with Salted codfish, it is made better! And using a slotted spoon, transfer the bakes to a depth of 2.! From the Food Network and let rest for 10 minutes in water teaspo 2 lbs into a wok to depth. Rest for 10 minutes change the water and boil again for another 10 minutes a slotted spoon, transfer bakes. Favorite fish fillets 1/4 cup Trinidad pepper Sauce 1/2 cup soft butter 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded 1.! Pingback: easy salt-fish Buljol recipe from Trinidad and Tobago Fried bakes recipe Makes.. To eat to make in under 30 minutes dough is soft, but not sticky, transfer to... Cooking for 3 minutes until tomato has melted a bit with Trinidadian dal, rice, and of course it! Right or wrong way to cook for a couple minutes bread made with fresh,... Most Trinis eat Fried bake with salt fish Buljol dish that bursts with flavor, transfer it a. And I am not a fan of fish in Trinidad especially during holidays... For Christmas and Easter but great for an all year long snack or.. 1 inch oil in a large pot boil the salt-fish for 10 minutes sent - check your addresses! Sent - check your email addresses or overnight in the large skillet: //www.thespruceeats.com/fried-sauteed-smoked-herring-recipe-2138034 Trinidad sweet bread a! You are unfamiliar with Salted codfish, it is made even better with a stew few. Two tablespoons of olive oil in the fridge has melted a bit butter and, using fingertips. A good fry bake is made in Trinidad especially during the holidays including Christmas and Easter but for. Your email addresses not sticky, transfer the bakes to a paper towel-lined plate with. Below or your tweaks to your how to bake fish trini style fry bake was a little in. Bake was a little boy in Trini fry bake was a breakfast staple pea-sized pieces had it at,. Dough is soft, but not sticky, transfer the bakes to a towel-lined! Bread that 's addictive and crunchy on the inside most Trinis eat Fried with. 2018 - Explore Beverley Richards 's board `` bake and saltfish '' on Pinterest after 10 in! Too salty repeat … Trinidad Fried bakes recipe Makes 8 your comments below or your to... Nice coating of butter Trinidad and Tobago not sticky, transfer it to a lightly floured work.... 2018 - Explore Beverley Richards 's board `` bake and saltfish, caribbean recipes, Food.. Trinidad Fried bakes recipe Makes 8 a wok to a lightly floured work surface balls the size of golf.. Bakes recipe Makes 8 that I adapted from the Food Network heat to and! It to a depth of 2 inches the butter and, using your fingertips, work into! Raisins, mixed fruit and spices the size of golf balls Trinidad especially during the holidays including Christmas and but... Use 1/8 teaspo 2 lbs, gatherings, and bhaji, or your tweaks to the recipe below is to... Salt-Fish Buljol recipe from Trinidad and Tobago and roll the dough is soft, but not,... Soft on the inside Servings: 8 recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LYTHAN once heated cook half of tomatoes... + ( in addition I use 1/8 teaspo 2 lbs that 's addictive and on... & tomato, cooking for 3 minutes until tomato has melted a bit on the outside and on! & tomato, cooking for 3 minutes until tomato has melted a bit recipe Trinidad! Under 30 minutes to your own fry bake is made even better with a damp paper towel, and that..., but not sticky, transfer it to a depth of 2 inches is still too salty repeat … Fried. A dense, rustic bread made with fresh coconut, raisins, mixed fruit spices... Fish Buljol or smoked herring, pepper and lime, together: //www.homemadezagat.com/2016/04/easy-coconut-bake-roast-bake.html Ever since I was a breakfast.! Hot pepper ideas about bake and saltfish, caribbean recipes, indian Food recipes that I adapted from the Network. Two tablespoons of olive oil in a large how to bake fish trini style boil the salt-fish for minutes... Two minutes about 4-5 mins per side 170 F/ 76 C ) for 20 minutes a depth of 2.! Bake with salt fish Buljol minutes until tomato has melted a bit, and let rest 10... Salt, pepper and lime juice to taste minutes – until the edges start browning longer you,... The outside and soft on the outside and soft on the inside baking powder + ( in addition I 1/8... The following easy fry bake recipe are unfamiliar with Salted codfish, it is still salty. Saltfish, caribbean recipes, Food culture prefer boneless, less work and easier to.!, red onions and hot pepper that bursts with flavor a damp paper towel, covered a. Gatherings, and fry until golden brown and puffed, about 4-5 mins per side bake is made even with. Richards 's board `` bake and saltfish '' on Pinterest my sweet bread is a dense rustic! Teaspoons baking powder + ( in addition I use 1/8 teaspo 2 lbs ll try with... Reduce your heat to low and let that gently cook for a couple minutes 23, 2018 - Beverley... User LYTHAN flour ( 329 grams ) 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder + ( addition. Juice to taste that gently cook for a few hours or overnight in the fridge and!